Guys, I admit it. I have Olympics fever. So this week’s TTT is a bit of a cheat since sports take place in all kinds of settings…but whatever. If you’re all about the sporty books, read on!
9 Sporty Books for Olympics Fans
- Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally | Sport: Running – a ton of Kenneally’s books could go on this list, but BAB is my fave, and it’s set on trails and streets all over Tennessee. And the romance is SMOKING.
- Letters to Nowhere by Julie Cross | Sport: Gymnastics – this is a really good contemporary sports YA about a gymnast who is orphaned, and where she goes in life, love, and sport from there. Julie is a gymnastics coach in real life, so it’s fantastically accurate as well as being really honest about grief.
- Game. Set. Match by Jennifer Iacopelli | Sport: Tennis – there are three romances in this new adult, and they’re all set in and around the Outer Banks Tennis Academy. It’s like boarding school with rackets. =)
- The Understatement of the Year by Sarina Bowen | Sport: Hockey – how many times have I talked about this book? Too many without a real review (that’s coming, don’t worry). This romance between two hot hockey players has so much heart and depth and sexiness – all set in college hockey rinks and dorms.
- First & Then by Emma Mills | Sport: Football – this one isn’t super focused on the sport, but it definitely gives you that feeling of being in a football-obsessed town when you’re not really into football. Also, it’s a Pride & Prejudice retelling & one of my fave books from last year!
- The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark | Sport: Figure skating – This is one of my book crack books – totally addictive figure skating pairs upper YA romance goodness, set on ice rinks all over the world. Read if you need to get your swoon on.
- Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally | Sport: Soccer – another Kenneally, you say? I loved this recent addition to her Hundred Oaks series. It focuses on a soccer-loving girl who makes a huge mistake and has to face serious consequences. Like BAB, this one is set in Tennessee, but more on the soccer field than on the trails.
- Whatever Life Throws At You by Julie Cross | Sports: Baseball and Track – and yep, another Julie Cross. Set in Kansas City, this is an upper YA/New Adult romance featuring a runner and a star pitcher. We get workouts at the gym, on the trails, on the diamond…this is one of my all-time fave baseball books!
- The Distance to Home by Jenn Bishop | Sport: Baseball – this sweet middle grade read features a young pitcher who is dealing with the death of her sister while her family is hosting a minor league player. This is probably one of the best MGs I’ve read – it really captures the sport as well as coping mechanisms for grief.
Other Sporty Books On My To Be Read List:
- Goldfish by Nat Luurtsema | Sport: Swimming – I’m dying to read this book about an Olympic swimming hopeful who doesn’t make it, and needs to find something new to be her thing.
- Tumbling by Caela Carter | Sport: Gymnastics – this one is HIGH on my to-buy list as I’m obsessed with gymnastics. It’s about a bunch of Olympic hopefuls, much like the US gymnastics team, who are BOSS. Basically Make It Or Break It in book form, and I NEED IT.
- Stealing Parker and Racing Savannah by Miranda Kenneally | Sports: Softball and Equestrian – I’m a few books behind in this series, but I’ve really enjoyed all of Miranda’s sporty girls. Savannah’s story is particularly high on my list!
- Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley | Sport: General Fitness? – I’ve heard so many good things about this G.I. Jane meets YA book. Even though it’s not really a sports book, it’s definitely one that I could see as fitting into that mold.
Are there sporty books that you love? What sports settings are auto-buys for you? Got any recs for me? Drop me a line and let me know!
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish to highlight a top ten list related to book blogging, and to get to know fellow book bloggers.