Pretty embarrassed by the lack of graphic novels/comics in the last few year, guys. But here are six favorite graphic novels, and six on my TBR.
Six Favorite Graphic Novels:
1. Blankets by Craig Thompson – my all-time favorite. It just spoke to me. And it was the first present I ever gave to my husband.
2. Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Vo1 1-4 by Sean McKeever and Takeshi Miyzawa – This is my favorite “real comic” series ever. Don’t be fooled by the cute title – this is a really amazing, addictive, realistic take on teen Mary Jane and what she’s going through at school.
3. Runaways by Brian K. Vaughan – This is one of those comics that got me into reading comics
4. The Scott Pilgrim series by Bryan Lee O’Malley – If you live in Toronto, if you don’t and you like old-school video games, if you are a teenager or in college…this silly, fun, smart, and honest novel about life after university will appeal to you. There’s a reason why it was made into a movie by Edgar Wright, and that reason is that it’s ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.
5. Good as Lily by Derek Kirk Kim and Jesse Hamm – This beautiful graphic novel is about a girl whose birthday wish ends up bringing her three very strange companions – herself at 6, 29, and 70. It’s a great look at a real teen dealing with the idea of not measuring up – and where that leads her.
6. MAUS by Art Spiegelman – I feel like this is essential reading for anyone who reads graphic novels. If you haven’t read it, it’s a personal story of Spiegelman’s father’s experiences in the Holocaust, where Jews are drawn as mice and Nazis as cats. It’s not cute, though – rather, it’s an exploration of extraordinary humanism and war, and what happens afterwards.
Six Comics/Graphic Novels on my TBR:
1. Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona – I’ve just heard incredible things about this serial comic about a Muslim superhero. Everyone tells me I should read it. Everyone raves about it. Must get to it.
2. Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughan, Cliff Chiang, and Matthew Wilson – I love BKV’s work, and I’ve even met him and complimented him a million times on Runaways. He and my husband suggested that I would really like this comic, so…
3. Smile and Sisters by Raina Telgemeier – I KNOW. I’m so embarrassed by this one, especially since I’ve loved Raina’s short works and Baby-Sitters Club graphic novels. I don’t know why I’m so behind on these!
4. Wires and Nerve, Vol 1 by Marissa Meyer and Douglas Holgate – hopefully by the time you read this, I’ll have this Lunar Chronicles graphic novel in my hot little hands!
5. This One Summer by Mariko and Jillian Tamaki – I’m really, really embarrassed about this one, guys. Mariko and Jillian are Canadians, they’re Asian, and this one has won a ton of awards. Also, my husband owns a copy, so I have no excuse.
6. Saga, Vol 2 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples – I really, really should get to the next one in this. And the one after. The story is beautiful.
What are your favorite graphic novels? Which ones should I read immediately? Let me know in the comments!
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish to highlight a top ten list related to book blogging, and to get to know fellow book bloggers.
Scott Pilgrim, Saga, and Ms. Marvel are also on our list.
I’ve seen a few of these on other lists today as well… I’m going to have to check them out.
I’ve only read the first two volumes of Saga, because my library hasn’t gotten the rest of them in! But I love that series. Ms. Marvel is great! My favorite comic. I hope you can get to it soon. Also Paper Girls is so interesting, I’m sure you’d like it!
Glad Saga is getting so much attention today, it’s one of my favourite series as well. It’s so well written and the artwork is gorgeous.
I’ve had Blankets on my radar since the Booksplosion crew featured it sometime back. Happy to see you loved it as well! Wires and Nerve also made my list! So happy it comes out today! My Top Ten
I haven’t read any of these, but I’ve heard lots of praises for Saga, maus and miss marvel! I also want to read This One Summer and Paper Girls 😀
Great list! Saga is such an amazing story! I can’t wait for Volume 7 to come out.
I just read the first Ms Marvel myself and I really loved it! Hope you’ll enjoy these.
Yasmine @ Swissbookworm
My Top Ten Comics
I haven’t read any of these, but I am interested in Wire and Nerves. I’ll admit I like the Lunar Chronicles series but I don’t love it. I really loved Iko though so hopefully I’ll like her in the graphic novel, too.
I must get Saga! I haven’t heard one negative thing about it. I added This One Summer to my TBR today too. It sounds great!
My Top Ten
Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Scott Pilgrim and Runaways are three of my all time favorite comics as well! Now I feel compelled to check out the rest on your favorites list 😀 Since we seem to have very similar taste, I would also recommend Giant Days to you!
I think Maus was the first GN that I read, and really loved. Saga is truly fantastic.
I’ve never read Maus, but it sounds really great! I still need to catch up on Saga *hides*. I also see Kristin recommended Giant Days to you – I totally second that!
Hi! Good as Lily sounds so fun! I don’t read graphic novels, but I might start with that one! 🙂
Ooh, adding Good as Lily to my TBR! This One Summer is really good. I also really like The Undertaking of Lily Chen. And hopefully I’ll have Wires and Nerve in my hands soon too!!!
such great recommendations!