Hello all! Today I am honoured and delighted to be promoting THE SEASON by Jonah Lisa Dyer and Stephen Dyer. Guys, when I first heard about this book several months ago, I was basically salivating. I am all about the summer fluff books, and I love sporty girl books so the two combined into a Pride & Prejudice retelling? SIGN ME UP.
THE SEASON is coming out on July 12th, and to whet your appetite, the Dyers have stopped by with a special (and HILARIOUS) post from their protagonist, Megan, with some pro-tips on how to be a Texas deb if you’re, you know, not into that. And of course, there’s a great prize pack for giveaway with some of Megan’s go-tos for surviving cotillion season. Read on!
Author: Jonah Lisa Dyer, Stephen Dyer
Publisher: Viking Books for Young Readers, Penguin
Publication date: July 12th 2016
Buy It: Indigo.ca | Amazon.com | The Book Depository | iBooks | Google Books | Audible
“A fun, modern take on Pride and Prejudice.”—Jojo Moyes, bestselling author of Me Before You Megan McKnight is a soccer star with Olympic dreams, a history major, an expert at the three Rs of Texas (readin’, ridin’, and ropin’), but she’s not a girly girl. So when her Southern belle mother secretly enters her as a debutante for the 2016 deb season in their hometown of Dallas, she’s furious—and has no idea what she’s in for.
When Megan’s attitude gets her on probation with the mother hen of the debs, she’s got a month to prove she can ballroom dance, display impeccable manners, and curtsey like a proper Texas lady or she’ll get the boot and disgrace her family. The perk of being a debutante, of course, is going to parties, and it’s at one of these lavish affairs where Megan gets swept off her feet by the debonair and down-to-earth Hank Waterhouse. If only she didn’t have to contend with a backstabbing blonde and her handsome but surly billionaire boyfriend, Megan thinks, being a deb might not be so bad after all. But that’s before she humiliates herself in front of a room full of ten-year-olds, becomes embroiled in a media-frenzy scandal, and gets punched in the face by another girl.
The season has officially begun…but the drama is just getting started.
From the Hardcover edition.
The Season by Jonah Lisa Dyer & Stephen Dyer: Megan’s Top 10 Sporty Girl Tips for Being a Texas Debutante
1. Chapstick does not qualify as a make-up routine.
2. Tea can be a full-contact sport. Prepare accordingly and protect yourself at all times.
3. Bruises, turf-burn & farmer’s tans can all be disappeared through the magic of concealer! Head to your local M.A.C. counter and show them the damage. They will load you up with products to make your skin so smooth nobody will suspect you actually have a life.
5. A ponytail ceases to be an appropriate hairstyle for any formal event beginning after 5pm. Who knew?
6. Taffeta & silk do not wick. Use copious amounts of antiperspirant. I’ve tried all the girlie ones but nothing works like Mennen Speedstick (Ocean Scent). Man up.
7. Even though they are itty-bitty, if you eat the hors d’oeuvres like they’re popcorn (or stalk the waiters carrying them) people will give you side-eye. There are times when it’s absolutely worth-it, but keep an Energy Bar in your purse for low-blood sugar emergencies.
8. Never mix pain-killers and white wine spritzers.
9. Acceptable idle chit-chat topics: college major, football, weather, shopping, the food, football, how your family is doing (as long as
the answer is “fine”), summer plans, and did I mention…football. Bonus points for recommending ESPN phone app to host’s son or husband for latest scores and headlines. Unacceptable idle chit chat topics: Politics, religion, Aggies (you never know) and how uncomfortable your undergarments are.
10. Girls who hydrate have to pee…a lot. Get over yourself and use the trapdoor in your Spanx. Practice at home first. Trust me.
Bonus Tip. It is acceptable to hide in the ladies’ room for up to twenty minutes. After that people will begin to wonder if you’ve passed out or been abducted.
OMG, the Spanx one! ? I couldn’t stop laughing when I first read these! Thanks so much, Jonah Lisa and Stephen, for stopping by and giving us a little taste of what to expect in The Season. Are you guys insanely excited yet?
The Dyers are generously offering 2 prize packs of fun swag with some of Megan’s go-tos for surviving cotillion season. You can win a signed bookmark, pin, Larabar, and of course, Chapstick! Sign up below to win – and yes, this giveaway is international!